You have heard of this a couple of times, but what is the correct, Oppan or Oppa??? I was syndicating some blogs through twitter. When someone sent me a tweet and inform me that “OPPA Gangnam Style” is wrong. It should be “Oppan” Gangnam Style. The wicked me tried to point out that she is wrong it is OPPA. However, I may be wrong about it so I google it.
Photo edited for this blog purpose.
First search. Oppa Gangnam Style. With this search I was able to find the official Psy’s Youtube account with the link of the video. I was like responding to her. About the meaning of Oppa in Korean, which means older brother. She said she knows that, so I was like “NO!!!! I am right.”
I searched again. Using her coined term, Oppan Gangnam Style. To my surprise I found some interesting facts that tells me that I am wrong.
Here are some of my loving finds:
According to Ask.com.
Oppa means big brother. True. But the correct phrase to use for this song is Oppan Gangnam Style.
You can the read the post from ask.com here:http://www.ask.com/answers/204378221/which-is-the-correct-oppa-or-oppan-gangnam-style
According to one Korean blogger, Jea Kim of mydearkorea. The song can be translated to “I’m Gangnam Style”. “Oppa” is an expression used by females to call older males such as older male friends or older brothers.”
You can check here entire blog post with this link. http://mydearkorea.blogspot.com/2012/08/korean-language-what-is-oppan-in.html. I actually read some of her post about Psy. It is very interesting. It is a good read.
FUN FACT ***Gangnam is an elite community in Korea. **"Gangnam, officially the Gangnam-gu is one of the 25 gu which make up the city of Seoul, South Korea. Gangnam is one of the most affluent areas of Seoul, and one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in all of South Korea" Says by Wikipedia.
I didn’t really want to join the fad of blogging about this topic but it occurred to me that she is right we keep on saying OPPA and we are not even Korean and we do not bother if the terms we use are correct or not. It is the same when someone spelled your name incorrectly or someone enunciated your name badly. You know its very minimal error but it means a lot to you.
Filipina Wanderer is connected to the real world.
- Here’s the skinny on Psy and his Oppan Gangnam Style (theunspunblog.com)
- What is Oppan Gangnam Style? (myriare.wordpress.com)
- Psy’s ‘Gangnam Style’ and ‘Gangnam Oppa’ In ‘Architecture 101′ (1) (racialicious.com)
- Decoding Gangnam Style (thehindu.com)
- Owo…Oppa Gangnam Style~o.o (chibiotaku010.wordpress.com)
- ‘Gangnam Style’ viral video brings K-Pop to the masses (cbc.ca)
- Gangnam Style Networking: Context Is Important (sciencelogic.com)
- “Gangnam Style” Gets Translated (b96.cbslocal.com)
- Here’s The English Translation Of ‘Gangnam Style’ (businessinsider.com)
- Now This Is Gangnam Style of the Day (cheezburger.com)